Harry Pearson Lott, son of Pearson H. and Sarah Manningly Lott, was born 25 May 1872 in Bucks Co., Pa. and died 9 Jan. 1950 in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma.  Between those two dates, like most people, he lived a life of human frailty, religious passion, and ceaseless effort as a minister in first the Fire-Baptized Holiness Association. 

Most accounts of the life of Rev. Harry P. Lott, indicate he came to Oklahoma from Longmont, California, On the 1900 census, there is a Harry P. Lott matching his birth date and place residing in Valverde, Araphoe, Colorado with a wife Emma and children Ruth, Cary J., and a servant Sara Franks. 

About 1907, Lott came to Oklahoma and connected with two other ministers, Richard Baxter Beall and O.C. Wilkins.  On the 1910 Oklahoma City census there is listed an H.P. Lott listed as single but staying with Oscar and May Wilkins at 225 West California.  Both men listed their occupation as Holiness ministers. 
In 1908 or 1909 he was acting superintendent of the Rescue Home for Fallen Women on Maple Street in Oklahoma  City. Matrons Mrs A.L. Warsham and Fannie Waterfield managed the daily operations of the work which sought save young women who had gone astray.  From descriptions of Bishop Muse the clientele were “rescued from sin…and the slime pits of hell”  Local newspapers of the day carried full page ads defending the need for rescue work  due to a loose society, profane activities, alcohol and lusts of the flesh.  Historically, this was also a time of what was called “white slavery” as it was believed many young women were lured or kidnapped into lives of prostitution.

In 1909 he was appointed Ruling Elder of the Oklahoma conference of the Fire-Baptized Holiness church.
Also in 1909, the domestic profile of Lott suffered in a very public manner.  In September, his wife Emma Lott filed a restraining order claiming abuse and neglect by her husband, Harry P. Lott (“Minister’s Wife Restrains Him”, Oklahoman, September 29, 1909, pg.4 and “Minister Sent to a Cell”, Oklahoman, Oct. 3, 1909, pg.31).   He replies later through his lawyers defending himself and his actions. This must have been sufficient because in 1910 he reappointed to Ruling Elder.  

Around 1910-1913 Lott remarried, Lizzie Shomp.   Lizzie or Elizabeth and her mother were charter members of the First Pentecostal Church of Oklahoma City began by Beall, Wilkins and Lott. In 1911 the Fire-Baptized Holiness Church and the Pentecostal Holiness Church merged to form one denomination named the  Pentecostal Holiness Church. Lott has left the now named “Pentecostal Holiness Mission” and is working with an Apostolic church before the start of World War II.

In 1917, Lott founded the Apostolic Faith Church. Since the Capital Hill Full Gospel Church in south Oklahoma City claims him as their founder and has him listed there at this early date, it is assumed they are the same congregation with merely a name change.  He remained there until 1948 when he retired.
He died in January of 1950 and was buried in the Sunnylane Cemetery in Del City, Oklahoma, within the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Several family members are buried nearby.

Charles F. Parham 1915 Oklahoma City

In July of 1915, the Rev. Charles F. Parham was listed as being part of the Apostolic Faith Meetings.  Street meetings were held at Farmers National Bank at 8 p.m. and "consultations and prayer" at 523 5th Street (Oklahoman, July 29, 1915, pg. 14).

The term 'apostolic' could mean many things in the 1890 to 1930 time. It could be used to refer to merely the evangelical fervor of the heritage of the Apostles time. It could be used to refer to a 'full Gospel' understanding of spiritual manifestations. It also came to be associated with "Oneness" theology which rejected the traditional doctrine and baptismal formula of a trinitarian view of the Godhead maintaining that all was in the "Name of Jesus Only".

Due to the largely independent nature of many of the early holiness and Pentecostal groups, many of which rejected formal organization, creeds, and formalized theologies, there could be found instances where there was a mixture of several doctrinal teachings co-existing with varied degrees of comfort and logic. These were termed "wildfire" by many early orthodox leaning preachers and people.  In many areas the lack of rules, regulations, and the emphasis on the individual reflected well the social and political environments swirling around in the larger society making it more difficult to contain when heresy emerged or conflicts in theological doctrines arose.

Other information on the Apostolic Churches at http://www.apostolicarchives.com/ps3.html



The roots of Pentecostalism in Oklahoma are tightly interwoven with the history of Holiness in the region. The Holiness movement sought and encouraged a spiritual reawakening and new dynamic progress.  The search for a spiritual experience both intimate and powerful enough to impact and change lives was seen as the experience of  Sanctification.  This act of God which served to draw the Christian closer to God and empower them for outreach to others was variously interpreted and defined in the groups. Debates can still rage over just how it is defined; is it progressive or instantaneous? Despite these theological nuances, the movement answered needs felt by people for 'something more' than  ritual without meaning or for the absence of anything spiritual in their lives at all.

As early as 1902, there are claims of people who experienced Pentecost in Oklahoma. According to writings by Goff, Campbell, Muse, and others, the time from 1902-1907 was an especially active time for these sporadic Pentecostal episodes.   Joseph Campbell refers to these as raindrops before the "latter rain."  They were in the area of Lamont, Oklahoma in 1905, where the Fire Baptized Holiness Association, later Church, had mission outreach, in Beulah, Oklahoma where a Bible School operated, and other locales. 

Sometime in the years 1905-1906 a group of women in Oklahoma began to intentionally pray for a Pentecostal mission to be opened in the community and united weekly to prayer for that event.

In Beulah, an independent holiness group called the Indian Creek Band and led by the Rev. Frank T. Alexander, purchased land and opened the Beulah Holiness Bible School.

Rev. Richard B. Beall arrived in the City on January 18, 1906 and within four months had organized a Sunday School on South Robinson Street. The initial success began plans of a downtown mission.  As if in answer to those devout prayers, another minister from Colgate, Indian Territory, O.C. Wilkins, arrived in the City. Another minister who had already founded several churches also arrived, Harry P. Lott. 

In May of 1907, Fire Baptized Holiness leader J.H. King had arrived in Lamont, Oklahoma to conduct a revival where "scores of people" (Campbell, 210) received the experience and then returned to other locales with the message of Pentecost.  This renewed the flagging Fire Baptized Holiness work in the state (active since before 1900) and initiated many developments around the region. 

That summer of 1907, members of that Indian Creek Band at Beulah came to the Lamont revival and carried the experience back to the school and that region. A minister named Robinson was invited to come preach and the first in Beulah to receive the experience was an elderly woman named McClung.

In the City, all of these "young men" who had felt drawn to come to Oklahoma City had been reading of the Asuza Street Revival in the "Way of Faith" periodical by J.M. Pike. They were motivated to begin a revival and a woman named Mrs. Mary A. Sperry opened her home for "tarrying services" to pray for the revival. In the newly rented former Blue Front Saloon, 7 Grand Street, the revival services began and by August of 1907, all three men had received the Pentecostal experience.

In 1909 at Lamont, Harry P. Lott was named ruling elder of the newly reorganized Fire Baptised Holiness Association work in the state. In October of that year, Lott brought the Oklahoma City Mission into the Fire Baptized Association. It was organized, despite some who did not believe in such organization, with 39 chapter members. Some of these included: Mary Edy, G.W. Thompson, Grace Woffard,  Mother Lay, Mrs. Mary A. Sperry., Terrie J. Walker, Mrs. J.T. Ellis, Mrs. Shomp,  Mrs. Harry P. Lott (Lizzie Shomp), Grace Bergle Keller, Effie Allen,  Mrs. Roe, Newton Taylor Morgan, Oscar C. Wilkins, J.F. Hughes, and Brother Miller. There were no doubt others unknown. Campbell notes many had issues with fears of organization in general as being a deterrent to spiritual vigor and a social trait of those in the west toward more independent thinking and action as contributing to the lack of some of the early churches and groups to survive. With no organized structure, and accompanying doctrinal and operational foundations, they were often subject to error, heresy and power struggles between conflicting views.

In 1911 the Fire Baptized Holiness Church with churches in Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and elsewhere would unite with the southeastern based, Pentecostal Holiness Church to form the new Pentecostal Holiness Church.  In Oklahoma, this meant some shuffling as people left to form independent groups, joined other assemblies, or new churches merged under the newly minted denomination.  The old Blue Front Saloon Mission, the Pentecostal Mission, was now on its way to being the First Pentecostal Holiness Church of Oklahoma City.

Sources: Campbell, Joseph E.. The Pentecostal Holiness Church, 1898-1948. Pentecostal Holiness Publishing House, 1951 contains many details, I have attempted to place them in some chronological order as they influenced the Oklahoma City Mission which would become the First Pentecostal Holiness Church..  Anyone with photos of these old Pentecostal churches in Oklahoma City is invited to send copies to infobrarian@yahoo.com, along with biographical information or stories of those 1905 - 1950 years.



ca 2000 NW9 & Blackwelder
Established in 1907  (A Work in Progress - Add information via the contacts or email infobrarian@yahoo.com)

First location: Blue Front Saloon building on the corner of Grand Avenue and Santa Fe (7 Grand Avenue) in downtown Oklahoma City.  Richard B. Beall (1878-1959) was listed in his obituary of Jan. 16, 1959 as the first pastor (using the address of the 423 W.  California location); others involved in opening the church were Oscar C. Wilkins and Harry P. Lott (image). Census records indicate they either identified themselves, Wilkins and Lott, as "holiness ministers" or were identified as such by the census taker. Histories by Dan Muse, Campbell and others, indicate they rented the building for about $40 a month in the late spring or early summer of 1907 and by late summer were holding "Azusa Street" style Pentecostal services.

Second location: date of move to this location unknown. In May of 1917 the "Pentecostal Holiness Mission" is at 317 W. California ("Churches", Oklahoman, May 31,1914, pg. 6). Services were listed as Sunday School at 2:30 p.m.. Preaching 3:30 and meetings Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights.

Third location:  Date of the move to this location is unknown. 423 W. California, featuring a neon "Jesus Saves" sign over the front entrance. Nearby were a tin shop and the old Central Fire Station according to Steps to the Sun by Margaret Muse Oden. In 1926 J.H. King held a Bible Conference there.

Fourth location: 1701 NW 9th (Corner of NW 9th and Blackwelder)
A June 6, 1948 issue of the Oklahoman indicates a  p.m. Sunday ground-breaking service (pg.17). Rev. S.N. Greene was pastor and missionary J.W. Brooks of South Africa and Southwestern College President Dr. R.O. Corvin would give short stalks. The date the church actually began to hold services is unknown.


Beall, Richard Baxter (1878, Ks - 1959,Ok), 1907 - ?.   He had originally come to OKC in 1903 and began a Sunday School work, met Wilkins and Lott and formed the Mission on  Grand Avenue in the old saloon.  He later went on to found the Full Gospel Temple, 410 SW 25 and by 1950 when he retired the church may have been located at 313 SW 6 ("Rev. R.B Beall Is Dead at 80", Oklahoman, Jan. 16, 1959, pg.3)

Lott, Harry P. (1907- ca.1917)- In 1917 he left to found the Capital Hill Full Gospel Church in the suburb of Capital Hill, southwest of Oklahoma but was quickly consumed by the metropolitan area. He is listed in newspapers of 1919 as pastor of Apostolic Faith Church,South Oklahoma Avenue and East B Avenue,East Capital Hill, which may be an earlier name of the CHFGC. 

Oden, Marvin (  )- ca. 1920's

Aaron, Thomas Lee, Ph.D. (1897-1951) - A news account locates him in 1926 as pastor of the First Church, 423 W. California.  He went on to become President of Kings' College, Kingfisher and then Emmanuel College in Franklin Springs, Georgia.

Muse, Dan T., Bishop ( 1882-1950) -  ca. 1920's-1930's ; identified in a 1929 news article as pastor.

Greene, S.N. (  )- ca. 1948; noted for his publication and editing of various songbooks and other musical activities.

Goad, Richard, Sr. - ca,  ? to  ca. 1980

Davenport, James D.  ca. ? - 1980

Hudson, Marvin J., D.Min. - ca. 1980-1983 - A college student he went on to be a professor of Greek and Biblical studies.

1701 NW 9th, ca. 1983

Note: Anyone having images of this church willing to share from the early days, please send as a .jpg to infobrarianATyahoo.com



In 1955, Margaret Muse Oden, daughter of the Pentecostal Holiness Bishop, Daniel Thomas Muse, 1886-1950, wrote personal rembrances of her father in a book titled, Steps to the Sun (PHC Publishing House).

The introduction was by G.H. Montgomery, editor of the P.H.C. Advocate.  His comments open by saying, "History", someone said, "is made up of the individual stories of many people."

The contents reveal a flow of a life story touching many others and in the process preserving some rare history.

  • Rise and Shine
  • Oh Brother!
  • California Street and Printer's Ink.  
  • Clay Hills,A T-Model and the Gospel
  • Shepherd of a New Flock
  • Seeing the Country- Eating fried chicken
  • The Bishop -
  • Tributes following his death
  • Short Scriptural comments by Bishop Muse
California Street was the location of the First Pentecostal Holiness Church in Oklahoma City.  The first location was in the old Blue Front Saloon and there the pastor Harry P. Lott handed a broom to a young man just moved up from Boyd, Texas.

He soon put to work his skills as a typesetter as well and would do so for many years. He published in the next few years a newspaper/letter called, "Faith".  He wrote articles for the denominational papers (i.e., Advocate, Youth Leader, Pentecostal Pulpit, etc.)

The church grew and moved a little ways down the street to the area of the Central Fire Station, a tin shop, and a house serving as the parsonage at 526 W. California.  A vacant lot now, it once held a 2-story oldfashioned house with a large wrap around porch which allowed access to the parlor on the west side.  In another twenty years the church would leave its second building, the red brick building on California with its neon "Jesus Saves" sign, and would be several miles further west in a modern, blonde brick ediface at the corner of NW 9th and Blackwelder.

As janitor the young Dan T. Muse worked hard and in the 1920's he began preaching and was re-assigned to his old church as pastor.  Then as Superintendent of the Oklahoma Conference and then as Bishop of the denomination.

As Oden recounts these - mostly first person memories - of the sights, sounds, and emotions of early day Oklahoma in the Pentecostal Holiness Church there is a great insight in to the values, motivations, experiences, hardships, and challenges of early day citizens and pastoral families in the 1920-1950 time frame.

More than just a book about a church leader, this volume also includes rare glimpses of live in a time and place now vastly changed.  As such, it retains a valuable place in the works useful to church historians but also social historians as well.