Posts

Showing posts from October, 2013

St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Minneapolis, Kansas

Image
The Episcopal Church came into the area of Minneapolis, Ottawa County, Kansas, formally before 1895. A local business gazetteer of 1878 does not list an Episcopal Church, only a Methodist, Presbyterian and a Baptist.   In the Journal of the Proceedings of the  Annual Convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas (1895) on pg. 21 is listed a lay delegate from Minneapolis' St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The individual was one A.R. Purton. So, it can be assumed the church was established sometime between 1878 and 1895.

An earlier postcard, often found for sale online, may show this church as early as 1905-1910. The basic structure of the two buildings is very similar, with only minor cosmetic changes reflecting changes over time.  The church was located at the corner of Third and Delia Streets. 
In the early 1970's, this wooden Episcopal Church was purchased to become the First Pentecostal Holiness Church in Minneapolis, Kansas.  The International Pentecostal Holiness Church