Early OKlahoma Methodist Leader Honored in 1928 Window


The district overseer of the Oklahoma City area of the Methodist Episcopal Church was David Guy Murray (1907-1913).  He was thus the first district supervisor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, North
church established in 1910 called Wesley Methodist Church.
 
His wife and family donated funds to add a stained glass window to the English Gothic sanctuary at Wesley UMC in Oklahoma City. The new sanctuary, and its art glass, were dedicated in May 1928.

“Gethsemane" is one of four tall and narrow windows (approx. 3 x 4 feet) located behind the pews under the balcony level in the south transept. These story glass pieces of art each convey a message in light and color. This one is based on Luke 22:41-4.
 
The company selected to provide the artistic glass designs for the windows was the Kansas City Glass Works, Inc.  located at 514-516 Wyandotte Street in Kansas City, Missouri, produced art glass products for a variety of buildings such as churches, depots, and private homes.
 
A new history of the 1910 church, and its windows, is in the works now. To learn more about the history of the church visit this page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clergy Collars and Robes

A List of Some Pentecostal Dissertations